Australian Greens' Rachel Siewert - "Income management in the NT has been a failed experiment for too long"

26th Mar 2019

The Morrison Coalition Government has announced that everyone in the Northern Territory on income management (or the Basics Card) will switch to the cashless debit card if it is returned at the upcoming election.

On Monday the Federal Minister for Families and Social Services, Paul Fletcher promised that the Cashless Debit Card will be expanded to nearly 22,500 people on income management across the country

80 per cent of welfare payments is placed on the card and cannot be used on alcohol, drugs or gambling but the remaining 20 per cent of welfare payments can be withdrawn as cash.

Australian Greens Aboriginal Affairs spokesperson,Rachel Siewert spoke to CAAMA’s Philippe Perez about the election promise from the Morrison Government.